Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Daily Throwback: Eminem - The Way I Am


Looks like the Shuffle God wanted to prove a point with this one. With all this talk surrounding Marshall's current release, The Marshall Mathers LP 2, I have to fully disagree that it marks a return to his earlier form. Don't get me wrong, musically, it is a solid album, but there is no way it matches the emotional firepower of its' predecessor.

I hate it when rappers make a sequel of classic album and expect us as fans that it is an equal extension of the previous work of art. None of Jay Z's Blueprints came close to the original. Nas' Stillmatic was better than the three weed plates he released prior, but it wasn't even close to the lyrical greatness that was Illmatic. And don't get me started on Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2...just don't.

Eminem is pushing 40, he's been successful for a while now, so there is no way we can expect him to recapture that hunger he possessed in his earlier days. MMLP2 has a lot of solid songs, but The Way I Am shits on all of them. Raw emotion. Eminem literally provided his fans with a window looking into his deepest thoughts.

This is one on Mr. Mathers realest tracks, and probably the first one that I truly connected with as a fan. I too am an asshole, so when Eminem said "I don't mean to be mean, but that's all I can be is just me" I totally related.  Bottom line, if you aren't fond of my asshole tendencies, don't exhibit the behavior of a dumb-ass. This wasn't a life choice, Em and I were born this way (no Lady Gaga...is that still cool, the contradictory "no" statement?...ah well). You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment