Sunday, September 27, 2015

September 14th: Gin Wigmore Provides Hope in Chicago


Gin Wigmore reignited my love affair with music with her sold-out show at Schubas Tavern in Chicago on September 14th. It was a Monday, so I'm starting a new hash tag (those are still cool right?) #MCM - Music Crush Monday.


I wasn't too sure what to expect from the show.  I'm a big fan of Gin Wigmore, but the last time she came to town, she left before setting foot on stage.  I wasn't too shook up, mainly because this was an extremely last minute show with little promotion.  I think that it was announced and set up in less than five days.  These things happen in live music, I get it, but I was still bummed.

Naturally, when I heard about this new tour, I was hesitant. Heartbreak is a bitch. My first instincts were not to trust her, but now I admit that they were dead wrong.


The atmosphere in the club was incredible. People would say excuse me while moving by, and everyone generally respected a nice one foot personal bubble (high-pitched "what!?!?").  Having just attended Riot Fest, I was ready for vomit, drunken behavior, and a whole lot of shoving. This was a pleasant surprise.  The opening act was Patrick Park, a solo act who was able to rock more than most entire bands.


Gin and the band blew the roof off of the Schubas Tavern, getting things started with  New Rush. The audience was full of positive energy and excitement, and the band was right there with them. Through chit chat, demanding that we clap along, and even a few apologies for the last visit, there was a real feeling of sincerity from Gin.  The night was a blur of fun and melodies, with dueling guitars and solos all around, ending with enormous applause and an incredibly touching rendition of Gin's I Will Love You.




Seeing Gin's performance that night was something I'd remember for days.  I hit the merch stand and headed out the door.  I noticed that some people were lining up near the tour bus for autographs and, since I had just purchased a hard copy of her new record, I stuck around as well. Gin was out talking to people almost instantly.  It wasn't just a signature and a picture, she was speaking in depth with everyone, hugging each person who came to the show and personally thanking them for coming.  In my life, I've never had a rock star greet me with open arms for a hug, and then apologize to me personally for not being able to perform the last time around. That was (not only a first) probably something that I'll never experience again.  This was now better than a few days worth of excitement, for me and everyone in line, this was now something that we'd remember forever.

So thanks to Gin Wigmore and her incredible band, and PLEASE come back to Chicago soon!

2 comments:

  1. Post something. I love your post. My dad loves them too. He reads them everyday, but you haven't been posting them. Now he has nothing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete