Friday, September 6, 2013

Mike Patton: Top 11


I can't stop talking about Mike Patton.

Mike Patton is the lead singer for Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom, and has appeared on many other projects as well.

I feel like Mike Patton has made some of the greatest music of all time, and will continue to do so for a while. The man picks projects to simply work with people he hasn't before, so he can grow musically.  This is a sign of a great artist.  The sad fact is, he's not really known for anything other than his singing duties in Faith No More.  Mike Patton is an artist that goes from hip hop to classical, and does it all with ease.


Now, I wasn't always a Patton fan, in fact, I was pretty late to the party.  It was 1995, and a friend of mine was begging me to give the latest Faith No More record (King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime, the 3rd studio record with Patton) a listen.  He had been begging me for years to listen to FNM, and I wasn't very nice about it.  This time, I gave in, and boy did I regret the wait.  This was a record that changed everything I knew about music, and still remains my favorite of all time.  I could talk about this record everyday, until I die, that is how much I love it.

As much as I'd love to go on about KfaD, instead I thought I'd look over everything Patton has ever done, and pick my top eleven songs.  No particular order.

Just a Man-Faith No More (1995)
I think this was the song that made me say, "Holy shit, I love this guy."
This was the song that sealed the deal for me.  It is also the last song on my favorite record, but it was just such a fantastic end to the whole thing, that it still gives me goosebumps to this day.  I just love the song that much.


Air Conditioned Nightmare-Mr Bungle (1999)
The record California came out June of 1999, and I think I saw them tour this record 3 times.  This wasn't initially my favorite song, but over time, it won me over.  Surf rock meets metal is how I describe it, but it has so much more.

Charade-Fantomas (2001)
Fantomas is usually categorized as "noise rock," but their second record brought it to the next level.  The album The Director's Cut was an entire record made up of re-tooled movie songs.  It sounds like a cover record, but Patton wrote lyrics and added his flare, and that is what make this album my favorite from this project.  I didn't even purchase it, a friend of mine bought it on my recommendation (I was poor and wanted to hear it), hated it, and flat out gave it to me.  I have since bought the live MP3s and Live DVD, in my never ending quest to give Patton projects as much of my money as I possibly can.  This was originally by Henri Mancini, for the 1963 movie of the same name, starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.


Capt Midnight-Tomahawk (2003)
This is the only Patton band I've never seen live, and it bums me out.  With an actual album that came out this year (2013), Tomahawk is doing pretty well.  This song is 10 years old, and it still melts me every time I hear it.  It blew me away on the record, but also in a video game.  The game The Darkness features Patton as a voice, but when the game ends, this song kicks in.  I was completely surprised, and it took my breath away.  It fit the game so well, that I was mad that I didn't see it coming!

We're Not Alone-Peeping Tom (Automator remix)
Patton and Dan the Automator teamed up in 2001 for a project called Lovage, which was all sexual innuendo songs with Jennifer Charles.  It was pretty amazing.  Patton then decided to do something "mainstream" and shopped it around for a few years, and eventually decided in 2006 to just release it on his own label, Ipecac, and forget about everything else.  This was a full on collaboration album, with Kool Keith, Nora Jones, Rahzel, and Dan the Automator (to name a few) appearing to help him out.  I've heard this record is Patton's idea of what pop music is, and I love it.  This version of We're Not Alone does not appear on the record, but that doesn't make it any less awesome.  Another song I loved from the demo phase of PT, Desperate Situation,a Marvin Gaye remake, also doesn't appear on the record, but is fully represented live.
Automator re-mix right here, and the original below.



Seule-Kaada/Patton (2004)
This is Patton teaming up with John Kaada, a Norwegian alt-rocker who also scores a lot of movies.  This whole record has an awesome vibe to it, but the thing is just too short.  Seule is a song that I hear, and it just has a cinematic feel to me.  I also wish the song was 10 minutes long.


Lost Weekend-Qemists featuring Patton (2009)
This was something I wasn't expecting.  A band from the UK that I had never heard of, with Patton on the vocals.  It had a cool "hard rock" edge, with just enough Patton to bring it to the next level.  Just an amazing track.

Bird's Eye-Serj Tankian/Mike Patton/Marc Streitenfeld (2008)
This was the song that ran over the credits of the Leo DiCaprio/Russel Crowe CIA flick, Body of Lies.
The rumor is, that Serj (of System of a Down) and Patton have an entire album recorded out there somewhere, and this is just a peek.


Ballad of a Thin Man-Jamie Saft featuring Patton (2006)
Yet another great cover from Patton.  It was written by some dude named Bob Dylan.  I know it is strange that I include covers in my "greatest Patton ever" list, but this shit counts.  Patton has a way of making this his own.  He's got that vocal range, mixed with that push on his neurotic style, it just works for me.

Are You Down With It?-Handsome Boy Modeling School featuring Patton (2004)
This was one track away from the one featuring Del the Funkee Homosapien on Prince Paul and Dan the Automator's second Handsome Boy record, White People. So close!  Little did I know that I'd have to wait until 2013 for Patton, Automator, and Del to actually team up.  This was (what I feel) the ground work for Peeping Tom, and it is a cool mix of hip-hop and Patton.


Ti Offro Da Bere-Mondo Cane (2010)
So, with a 40 piece orchestra and 15 piece backing band, Patton decided to turn the world on it's head, and do an entire record of 50's Italian pop songs. Brilliant. The only down side of this entire record, is that I will never see it live in the US (and I have no idea what the lyrics are), because it was recorded with mainly European musicians, and played with the full ensemble only a handful of times.  Patton did do a "lite" tour with a reduced band, but due to lack of funding, he still couldn't get the funds together for a North American show. Kickstarter anyone?

So, that's my Patton rundown.  I had a really hard time picking these songs, but I hope they are enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment