Friday, May 3, 2013

"The Great Gatsby" Soundtrack Album Stream


This soundtrack has almost as much hype as the movie.  It was executive produced Jay-Z, and as much as it pains me to say this, I think he might have over-thought this one.  This whole thing smells like Jigga's best Kanye impersonation.

His song 100$ Bill falls flat in my opinion, there's just too much going on for my taste. As a matter of fact, that seems to be the theme of the entire soundtrack...too much going on.  Emile Sande has a remake of Beyonce's Crazy In Love, and Beyonce has a cover of Amy Winehouse's Back To Black featuring Andre 3000.  Both are over-experimental and evaporated all the soul that existed in each original.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few nice tracks on the LP, but all of the ones I was looking forward to left me disappointed.  Check it out for yourself, the NPR link for the full album stream is below.  You're welcome.

1 comment: