Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Happy Birthday Christopher George Latore Wallace


No matter the name you knew recognized him as (Notorious B.I.G., or Biggie Smalls, or the Black Frank White), the man was an all-time favorite.  Notice I didn't say "great."  I just find it hard to put him in the top 5 with such a small portfolio of work.  Only 2 albums of original work.  If we judged artist by only their first 2 albums, Jay-Z might have stayed retired and the Fugees would still be together.

Don't get me wrong, the man had unbelievable skills.  He was the master of his era, but I'm a firm believer that true greatness in hip-hop is measured by how an artist transcends through different eras.  I'm sure he would only have gotten better, but due to tragic circumstances, we'll never know for sure. To help celebrate what would have been his 41st year on Earth, please find some time today to listen to your favorite B.I.G. song.  Here's mine.  You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment