Saturday, January 18, 2014

2014 Chicago Bluegrass & Blues Festival: The Great Divide, Nick & The Ovorols, & Bigg Otis @ The Tonic Room 1/15/2014


Reviewed by: John Goodin

Alright, this was going to be my first time experiencing live bluegrass and/or blues music. I didn't know what to expect. I was excited to try something new, but fearful that it would, you know, suck, and I would be stuck at a concert that I desperately wanted to escape. Luckily, the latter did not occur, and I had a great first time experience at the Chicago Bluegrass & Blues Fest.

We (my photographer Stu and I) arrived at the Tonic Room at 8 PM. The first band was setting up and at the time there were only 4 patrons in the bar. The Tonic Room was intimate (a.k.a. small), dimly lit with candles, and everything was red. All in all, a cozy venue. We saddled up to the bar and got some drinks and we waited. An hour passed as a more people trickled in.


Like I said earlier, I wasn’t sure what to expect from the Chicago Bluegrass & Blues Fest, but then the first band, Bigg Otis, started playing. They showcased a 3 piece ensemble of drums, guitar, and bass that makes a lot of noise. The lead singer/guitarist (Rob Blaine) howls his blues into the mic while the drums and bass (Dana Thompson and Ari Seder) keep the songs together in a tight performance. This band is a real taste of good old Chicago blues. The crowd hooted and whistled while Rob shred on his guitar, wildly bending his strings into screaming blues riffs. I couldn’t help but be drawn into this band and every song the whole crowd bobbing their heads and dancing.


The second band of the evening was Nick & The Ovorols. Another 3 piece ensemble, but with a different sound (guitar- Nick Peraino, bass-Lance Lewis, and drums-Cam Lewis). The best description I can think of is funky groove rock with blues on the side. Nick Peraino played long bluesy riffs reminiscent of Jimi (Mr. Hendrix to the uncool). My favorite song of theirs was Heed the Words I Say, a grungy slow jam with a wicked guitar solo.


As Nick & The Ovorols left stage, The Tonic Room was filling up. The crowd clamored between sets rushing the bar for drinks. The Great Divide was the last band of the night. They were a 7 piece ensemble with 2 guitars, a bass, drums, a trumpet, a trombone, and a keyboard. That wasn’t enough though. For the first 2 songs Nick Peraino from Nick & the Ovorols joined them. With 7 players, The Great Divide had a big band feel with the horns carrying the songs when the vocals dropped. They share the same lively upbeat feel with great gospel music. Everyone was moving to the sound. You couldn’t help it. Moorie was my favorite song they performed with Teddy Grossman singing his heart out over a lovely melody that had me singing “Oh, happy day! When I go to see Moorie!


All these bands surprised me with the talent they brought, but my favorite of the night was Bigg Otis. They set the stage for the whole evening. Even though they played for only 15-20 people max, they still brought the roof down like it was the United Center. I had a blast watching each group and seeing their take on the genre. I guess you can say the CBB has a new supporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment